Summer Symposium with MMANC
August 14 @ 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
CALED is partnering with the Municipal Management Association of Northern California for an all day Summer Symposium in Danville.
Event: Summer Symposium MMANC/CALED
Title: Cultivating Economic Development Through Connection + Community
Subline: Whether you are a local government generalist or a seasoned economic development professional, spend the day in beautiful downtown Danville learning new methods to cultivate economic development in your community! Topics include economic development fundamentals, the future of business incentives, legislative issues in the economic development world, and how to captivate your community through storytelling.
CGL: The Economic Development content in this symposium qualifies for 1 elective CGL credit.
Date/Time: Wednesday, August 14, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
Location: Danville Veterans Memorial Building – 115 E. Prospect Avenue, Danville, CA 94526
Cost: $65 MMANC/CALED Members (Use Discount Code created: CALEDSS2019)
Parking: Free in Municipal Parking Lots with Day Permit Provided with Paid Registration
- Economic Development 101
- Understand key principles that drive Economic Development in your community and how your role can influence the direction of economic growth. This session will serve as an introduction for generalists and new professionals in the field and as a refresher for seasoned experts.
- Optional Pre-Session CALED, Required MMANC CGL Credit
Speaker: Michelle Stephens, Economic Development Manager, CALED
- Next Generation of Business Incentives
- Explore the legal issues around financial incentives, the organizational considerations about non-monetary incentives, and best practices for both.
Moderator: Nat Rojanasathira, Administrative Services Director, Town of Danville
Panelists: Kristina Lawson Esq., Partner, Hanson Bridgett
Paul Nguyen, Economic Development Manager, City of Hayward
Nathan Donato-Weinstein, Business Development Officer, City of San Jose
- Legislative Update from the California Association for Local Economic Development
- Become informed about one of the busiest years in Sacramento in recent memory, as the Legislature shakes up the foundation of local economic development.
- Captivating Your Community Through Storytelling
- Each time you communicate, you have the opportunity to captivate (or bore) your audience. And captivating your audience is the pathway to getting your message across and building your programs. But do you know how?
- Storytelling is an ancient art that has been proven to capture attention in a very unique way, and not every story starts with, “Once Upon a Time.”
Come to this interactive session to learn…
- The powerful narrative arc that can be the basis of your organizational communication.
- How to understand and articulate the audience’s needs.
- How to describe your program or service in a way that captures attention and guides your client or customer into a positive future.
- You’ll come away with a clear “elevator pitch” that will captivate your audience.
- Claire Laughlin, Communication Specialist, MRG LLC