Advanced Institute for Economic Development
The next Advanced Institute will be held August 15-19, 2022 in a Virtual Format.
Registration Is Closed
The Advanced Institute for Economic Development (Advanced Institute) is the second requirement of the Accredited California Economic Developer (ACE) program and encompasses the program’s advanced coursework. The Advanced Institute is offered in partnership with Craig School of Business at Fresno State. While reflecting universal best practices in economic development, all Advanced Institute courses emphasize California-specific curriculum and address the unique economic development environment in California.
The original intent was to hold the 2022 Advanced Institute in-person at the Fresno State University campus; however, based on feedback received citing limited travel budgets for attending in-person or comfort levels related to COVID, we have shifted the training format to be virtual (via Zoom) for everyone. The Institute offers opportunity for class engagement via breakout activities, discussion, and networking. The Advanced Institute builds on the “Introduction to Economic Development Certificate Program” (also known as “Keys to Successful Economic Development” or “Keys Course”) which has been offered by CALED in partnership with Fresno State University for over 10 years.
Prerequisite and Waiver Requests:
The 4-day “Keys Course” is a prerequisite to the Advanced Institute, although a waiver of the Keys Course requirement may be considered for individuals with 6+ years of professional experience and/or individuals who have completed a comparable Keys Course in neighboring states. Additionally, individuals who have successfully completed comparable coursework or those with CEcD accreditation may request a waiver of certain Advanced Institute courses.
Waiver requests must be submitted to:
Helen Schaubmayer firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on June 5, 2022.
Contact Helen Schaubmayer at email@example.com if you have any questions about requesting a waiver.
Earn your Certificate of Completion:
Each of the five days is a separate course instructed by knowledgeable and experienced professionals in that subject matter. At the end of each course day, an open-book quiz is given to students to assess their understanding of the material presented in the class that day. Students must receive a passing score on each course exam to successfully pass the Advanced Institute and receive their Certificate of Completion.
The five one-day courses offered (click on the course name to view its syllabus and instructor information:
- Economic Development Strategic Planning
- Business Retention and Expansion
- Real Estate Development and Reuse
- Navigating the Regulatory Environment and Entitlement Process in California
- Economic Development Finance
–Each course will be held from 9am to 4:30pm (exact end time depends on length of daily course quiz)–
Who Should Attend:
- Economic development professionals currently employed (or seeking employment) in California
- Professionals in related fields whose job responsibilities include economic development functions
- Those who have already attended the Keys Course and want to take the next step towards ACE certification
Registration Fee for Advanced Institute (Keys Course is a separate fee):
- CALED Member = $1,300
- CALED Non-member = $1,500
There is a limited-space availability so register early once open! (Payment must be received 2 weeks prior to the start of the Advanced Institute to attend.)
Registration Is Closed
Registration closes August 1, 2022 or when full capacity reached.
Fresno State University
University Business Center, Craig School of Business
5245 N. Backer
Fresno, CA 93740-8001
Current Campus COVID Health and Safety Compliance (subject to change):
- Guests should complete the Daily Health Screening Questionnaire in advance of coming to campus. If the screening questionnaire results in the guest receiving a red X, the guest should not attend the event.
- Face coverings for when guests are indoors are optional, but recommended. Best efforts should be made to accommodate a six-foot physical distance if attendees will be removing their face covering to eat or drink.
- If guests become ill within two (2) days after the event, they must notify the event host. The host will then contact the campus Office of EHS/Risk Management at559.278.6910 or via firstname.lastname@example.org
ACE Certification Program:
Successful completion of the Advanced Institute is one of the requirements to become an Accredited California Economic Developer (ACE), but not the only criteria. To learn more about this California certification program, click here.
Contact Helen Schaubmayer at email@example.com for questions and to get your name on our contact list.
Made possible by contributions from: