CALED Rural Economic Development Exchange
In May of 2018, the CALED Board approved the creation of a Rural Economic Development Exchange that allows CALED to direct some resources to support our efforts to help rural economic developers connect, share resources, and engage in policy conservations/initiatives. Specifically, CALED is committed to:
- Convene rural economic development stakeholders at least one time per year (outside of CALED’s Annual Conference)
- Include a Rural Exchange opportunity at the conference for resource providers to share updates on how they can support rural economic development as well as showcase best practices
- Work with USDA Rural Development in California to identify ways CALED can support their priorities and promote their work/grants.
- Share what we learn with partners that may be in a position to assist in addressing priorities, challenges, solutions, and resources to grow rural economies
Read the full Charter here.
Virtual Rural Exchange: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 from 1-3pm
Thank you to the Rural Exchange speakers that helped to make the event a success:
- Loree Byzick, Superior California Economic Development
- Jonathan Farrington, Yosemite Mariposa County Tourism Bureau
- Mark Hamilton, City of Chowchilla
- John Lambeth, Civitas Advisors
- Patrick Martinez, City of Needles
- Tara Schiff, Mariposa County
- Susan Seaman, Arcata EDC
- Jeff Simpson, Mono County
- Sophia Zheng, BluDot
To view the recording of the September Rural Exchange, click here.
If you haven’t seen it yet, make sure to check out the California Rural Infrastructure Finance Guidebook.
In response to the Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS), CALED reached out to members to see how they were helping impacted businesses and well as measuring that impact. Click here to see a collection of the responses we received.
Past Rural Exchange Events:
- January 10, 2018–Sacramento, CA
- September 26, 2018–Tehachapi, CA
- January 15, 2019–Sacramento, CA
- March, 23, 2019 (Rural Networking at CALED Conference)–Anaheim, CA
- August 8, 2019–Eureka, CA
- January 21, 2020–Sacramento, CA
- April 28, 2020–Rural Recovery Update Webinar
- September 23, 2020–Virtual Fall Rural Exchange