CALED Rural Economic Development Exchange
In May of 2018, the CALED Board approved the creation of a Rural Economic Development Exchange that allows CALED to direct some resources to support our efforts to help rural economic developers connect, share resources, and engage in policy conversations/initiatives. Specifically, CALED is committed to:
- Convene rural economic development stakeholders at least one time per year (outside of CALED’s Annual Conference)
- Include a Rural Exchange opportunity at the conference for resource providers to share updates on how they can support rural economic development as well as showcase best practices
- Work with USDA Rural Development in California to identify ways CALED can support their priorities and promote their work/grants.
- Share what we learn with partners that may be in a position to assist in addressing priorities, challenges, solutions, and resources to grow rural economies
Read the full Charter here.
Attend the 2022 Virtual Winter CALED Rural Exchange on February 16th from 9:30am-12:00pm
The Rural Exchange will provide a great opportunity for rural economic developers to connect with each other in addition to getting updates on different rural economic development resources and activities. To participate, register here.
When we are closer to the date, you will receive a link for the event. There is no cost to participate in the Rural Exchange and you do not need to be a CALED member. See the full agenda below.
9:30-9:40 Welcome: Michelle Stephens, CALED & Robert Meyer, ETP
9:40-10:00 Meet the Regional Director for the Western Region, U.S. Department of Commerce, EDA
- Sheba Person-Whitley, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, EDA
10:00-10:30 State & Federal Rural Resource Review & Questions: Moderator, Tara Schiff, Rural Liaison to the CALED Board
- Dawn Golik & Heather Luzzi, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Robert Meyer, Employment Training Panel
- Dan Johnson, Rural Development, USDA
10:30-11:20 Rural Economic Development in Action
- CERF Discussion: Gurbax Sahota, CALED
- Wells Fargo Rural Philanthropy: Tim Rios, Wells Fargo
- Rural Film Commissions: Sabrina Jursich, Film Shasta
11:30-11:55 Shared Best Practices/Needs Connection
11:55-12:00 Close Out: Michelle Stephens, CALED
If you haven’t seen it yet, make sure to check out the California Rural Infrastructure Finance Guidebook.
In response to the Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS), CALED reached out to members to see how they were helping impacted businesses and well as measuring that impact. Click here to see a collection of the responses we received.
Past Rural Exchange Events:
- January 10, 2018–Sacramento, CA
- September 26, 2018–Tehachapi, CA
- January 15, 2019–Sacramento, CA
- March, 23, 2019 (Rural Networking at CALED Conference)–Anaheim, CA
- August 8, 2019–Eureka, CA
- January 21, 2020–Sacramento, CA
- April 28, 2020–Rural Recovery Update Webinar
- September 23, 2020–Virtual Fall Rural Exchange
- February 11, 2021–Virtual Winter Rural Exchange
- October 6, 2021–Virtual Fall Rural Exchange