CALED Rural Economic Development Exchange
In May of 2018, the CALED Board approved the creation of a Rural Economic Development Exchange that allows CALED to direct some resources to support our efforts to help rural economic developers connect, share resources, and engage in policy conservations/initiatives. Specifically, CALED is committed to:
- Convene rural economic development stakeholders at least one time per year (outside of CALED’s Annual Conference)
- Include a Rural Exchange opportunity at the conference for resource providers to share updates on how they can support rural economic development as well as showcase best practices
- Work with USDA Rural Development in California to identify ways CALED can support their priorities and promote their work/grants.
- Share what we learn with partners that may be in a position to assist in addressing priorities, challenges, solutions, and resources to grow rural economies
Read the full Charter here.
Attend the 2021 Virtual Fall CALED Rural Exchange on October 6th from 9:30am-12:00pm
The Rural Exchange will provide a great opportunity for rural economic developers to connect with each other in addition to getting a legislative update as well as hearing from our Federal and Statewide partners. In order to participate, register here.
When we are closer to the date, you will receive a link for the event. There is no cost to participate in the Rural Exchange and you do not need to be a CALED member. See the agenda below:
- Welcome: Michelle Stephens, CALED & Robert Meyer, ETP
- State & Federal Rural Resource Review: Moderator–Tara Schiff, Rural Liaison to the CALED Board
- Jill Drinkwater & Derek Kirk, Governor’s Office of Business & Economic Development
- Tara Lynn Gray, Office of the Small Business Advocate
- Dan Johnson, USDA Rural Development
- Malinda Matson, EDA
- Toni Symonds, Assembly JEDE Committee
- Recovery & Resiliency
- Recovery & Resiliency Playbook Update: Michelle Stephens, CALED
- Outsmart Disaster: Helen Schaubmayer, CALED
- EPA & State Grant Assistance for Counties: Ignacio Dayrit, CCLR
- Broadband Financing & Economic Development Activities: Robert Burris, RCRC
- Shared Best Practices & Needs Assessments
- State Economic Development Environment: Gurbax Sahota, CALED
- Close Out: Michelle Stephens, CALED
If you haven’t seen it yet, make sure to check out the California Rural Infrastructure Finance Guidebook.
In response to the Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS), CALED reached out to members to see how they were helping impacted businesses and well as measuring that impact. Click here to see a collection of the responses we received.
Past Rural Exchange Events:
- January 10, 2018–Sacramento, CA
- September 26, 2018–Tehachapi, CA
- January 15, 2019–Sacramento, CA
- March, 23, 2019 (Rural Networking at CALED Conference)–Anaheim, CA
- August 8, 2019–Eureka, CA
- January 21, 2020–Sacramento, CA
- April 28, 2020–Rural Recovery Update Webinar
- September 23, 2020–Virtual Fall Rural Exchange. To view the recording, click here.
- February 11, 2021–Virtual Winter Rural Exchange